All Time Top 50 News
- प्रधानमन्त्री झलनाथ खनाल राजिनामा दिने अन्तिम तयारीमा
- "We do not accept Madhav Kumar Nepal", says Progressive Nepali Forum in Americas (PNEFA)
- Readers' Comments Section
- USNepalOnline.Com sends you greetings and thanks for your participation at our 2nd Anniversary Celeb
- न्यू योर्कमा युएस नेपाल अनलाइन तेश्रो बर्ष पुरा गरी चौंथो बर्षमा प्रबेश
- माओवादी दुई स्थानमा, काँग्रेस, नेकपा एमाले र मधेशी जनअधिकार फोरम एक\एक स्थानमा विजयी
- A Son of a Priest, now Hero in a World's Best University
- अमेरिकामा नेपालको जातीय छुवाछुत र भदभाव उन्मुलनकोलागि अन्तरराष्ट्रिय फोरुमको स्थापना
- Unsung Heroes: Hope for New Nepal
- Nepalese Coalition in New York Discussed on New Nepal’s Future
- People's Court or Jana Adalat: Let YOUR voice be Heard
- एनआरएन प्राध्यापकहरूको 'ग्लोबल पोलिसी फोरम फर नेपाल' को स्थापना
- न्यू योर्कमा श्रीमानबाट कुटिदै र लुटिदै नयाँ जीवनको खोजीमाछिन् एक नेपाली नारी
- अमेरिकाका एमाले समर्थकहरु एमाले-कांग्रेस गठबन्धनको बिरुद्ध ?
- न्यू योर्क 3rd Annual Dance Parade मा ७ हजार भन्दाबेशी डान्सरहरु सहभागी
- न्यू योर्कमा तीन तल्ला माथिबाट खसेको फर्सीबाट नेपाली महिला सिकिस्त
- अमेरिकि राष्ट्रपति बाराक ओबामा राष्ट्रपतिमा पुन: बिजयी
- न्यू जर्सीमा लाङ्घाली परिवार यूएस्एको पाचौँ वार्षिक उत्सव भब्यताकासाथ सम्पन्न
- King of Pop Michael Jackson Died
- Nepalese Teraian appointed Scientist & Doctor Binod Shah as the new President
- Updated; 129 photos: न्यू योर्कमा युएस नेपाल अनलाइनको पाँचौं वार्षिकोत्सब भब्यतापूर्वक सम्पन्न, ९ नेपाली, १ अमेरिकि सम्मानित
- Munindra Nembang-Chungta Gurung wedding celebration 09
- Asian American Communities from across New York City Come Together for National Voter Registration Day September 23
- अमेरिकाको कङ्ग्रेसम्यानमा उम्मेद्वारी दिने पहिलो नेपाली बने दर्शन रौनियार
- न्यू योर्कका अगुवा नेपाली मोहन ज्ञवाली साउथ एसियन हेरिटेज पुरस्कारद्वारा सम्मानित
- न्यू योर्कमा नेपाली पत्रकारहरुले मनाए विश्व प्रेस स्वतन्त्रता दिवस
- अमेरिकाबाट अझै नेपालका "राजा" ज्ञानेन्द्रलाई जन्म दिनको शुभ-कामना !
- केटी फँसाउने नेपाली भिक्षुलाई अमेरिकामा चाँही शान्ती पुरस्कार
- न्यू योर्कमा नेपालीले नेपालीलाई गर्धनमा खुकुरी प्रहार
- न्यू योर्कमा बेखबर एउटा नेपाली घरसँग जोडिएको नेपालीहरुको नाता
- New York Nepalese Community News
- न्यू योर्कमा नेपाली दिदि-बहिनिहरुलाई तीजको रहर आयो बरिलै
- न्यू योर्कबाट बाँच्ने आशा लिएर धनमाया नेपाल फर्किन्
- न्यू योर्कमा ७२ जना उत्तर अमेरिकि नेपाली कविहरुका दुई कबिता संग्रहहरु बिमोचित
- न्यू योर्कमा नेपाली कला मन्चको रमाइलो दसैं साँझ
- Tribute to late Girija Prasad Koirala, former Prime Minister of Nepal
- न्यू योर्कमा युएस नेपाल अनलाइनको दोश्रो वार्षिकोत्सब सम्पन्न
- English Section News Archives 07-08-09
- न्यू योर्कमा नेपालको प्रथम गणतन्त्र दिवस यसरी मनाइयो
- न्यू योर्कमा नेपालका ५ चर्चित कलाकारहरुको रमाइलो सांगितिक साँझको केही बान्की
- लौ चाखौं Taste of Nepal को स्वाद त्यो पनि न्यू योर्क मै !
- News Archives: Featured News
- न्यू योर्क शहरमा सुम्निमा साँझ-१ सम्पन्न: किराती राइहरुको महान पर्ब साकेलाको रमझम
- न्यू योर्कबाट जाँदाजाँदै नेपालीका मन यसरी जिते नायक राजेश हमालले
- न्यू योर्कमा छुरा प्रहारबाट एक नेपाली सख्त घाइते, म्रिगौला झिकियो
- न्यू योर्कमा तीज मनाउन नेपाली नारीहरु ओइरिए, नायिका गौरी मल्लसहित ४ महिला सम्मानित
- न्यू योर्कमा सुपरिचित चलचित्र नायक राजेश हमालको सम्मान
- अमेरिकामा दुई बर्षदेखी बेपत्ता, बुढी आमाको पुकार- छोरा कहाँ छौ?
- Don't Miss 1st Live Broadcst from New York City !
- Challenges of the 21st Century Series by Pradeep Thapa
|A Son of a Priest, now Hero in a World's Best University|
|Written by Pradeep Thapa Magar|
|Thursday, 25 June 2009 04:29|
New York- This is news about a remarkable Koirala. The Koirala family is generally thought of as Girijaprasad Koirala and his relatives and cronies, but this young forest scientist neither has a link to that more famous Koirala family nor does he even know them.
On May 25, the young Koirala named Rajesh Koirala, received his graduate degree from one of the world's most prestigious universities: Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut.
Always First in His Class
Rajesh was born in 1983 in Paoti VDC-8 Koirala Gaun, Dolakha district, Nepal. He never came in second in his class; on the contrary, he always came in first. He passed his SLC (School Leaving Certificate) in 1st Division, the only one from his school to pass.
Son of a Priest
Rajesh's father, Dilliprasad Koirala, is a former sipoy in the Nepal Army. Now 70, the senior Koirala performs rites and rituals in the village. Rajesh's mom is now 60. Rajesh says "My mother is my inspiration and motivation. We did not get chance to be close to our father because he was absent so much with the army and working at his priestly duties."
Rajesh's older brother Rajendraprasad Koirala is studying for his MBA in Nepal. His sister Ambika Koirala is married to Balaram Pokhrel.
Preparation for Higher Education and a flight to Yale
After his SLC in 2000, Rajesh arrived for the first time in Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal, but later decided to enroll in the Forestry College in Pokhara instead. There he did well, scoring higher than his classmates who attended elite schools. He came in 2nd in his first year and topped the whole college in his final year.
Rajesh graduated from Pokhara Forestry College in 2006 and worked one year for Nepal Swiss Community Forestry Project.
Meanwhile, he applied for his Master’s Degree in Forestry at several universities around the world. To his surprise, he received offers from universities in more than 6 countries. He eventually narrowed his choice to the United States and Yale University’s elite School of Forestry.
Once he arrived at Yale in August 2007, he studied hard for the next two years. This year he achieved his goal of Masters Degree in Forest Science.
Hero at Commencement Parade
Besides that success, Rajesh was selected by the dean's office based on academic grade and extra performance to be one of the four Student Marshals from his department at the Yale’s 308th Commencement Parade. Representing his class, he was conferred his degree by the President of the university, Richard Charles Levin. Student Marshals represent their classmates by receiving their degrees from the president; later, each Dean presents individual degrees and awards at their separate schools. There were 1,302 Masters Degree recipients this year and 90 were from Forestry.
When Hillary Loved
By coincidence, Hillary Clinton, the Secretary of the State to the US Government was seated on the platform to receive an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree.
When Rajesh went to the platform to represent his fellow Forestry graduates in receiving his degree, his mortarboard transformed to a mini forest of branches, flowers and the flag of Nepal, Hillary took notice of his creativity and made a comment but in his eagerness, Rajesh was too excited to hear it. A friend told him later: “I love your hat”, were Mrs. Clinton’s words.
I was there to celebrate and witness Rajesh's memorable moment. His parents could not come so he invited Margaret and me to accept the honor of being his family-for-the-day. We drove to New Haven a day earlier with our friend Sangini Rana Magar who was visiting from Nepal, and feted him with a family dinner that also included Margaret’s family members, at a local Indian restaurant.
During the celebrations, we met another Nepali student from Budhanilkantha, Kathmandu: Neeleshman Shrestha. Neelesh completed his Masters Degree in Environmental Science at the School of Forestry.
A plan to return Nepal
Rajesh was the first son to go abroad from his village and for now he hasn't made immediate plans to return to Nepal. One can take the opportunity to stay and work for one year after the graduation, he explained. "Right now, I am working with Prof. Ashton as an assistant Researcher. Here I can accumulate more knowledge and experiences to one day make a contribution to our country. I am just trying to develop myself in this regard. But surely, one day, I will return.
Wow, what a nice thought from a nice Koirala! My best wishes go to Rajesh Koirala for his successes and achievements in the future. As we say, "Nepal's wealth is Nepal's Jungle", we should expect Rajesh to one day become a great asset to our beloved country of Nepal.
Read this feature news in Nepali:
Be the first to knowTweets by @usnepalonline
USNepalOnline.Com is a New York-based popular community news portal dedicated to the Nepalese community in New York and around the world. We bring news and views from Nepal and from the Nepalese Diaspora. We are committed to providing a wide array of international features relating to Nepalese politics, people, lives, culture and so on. Our dedicated editors, representatives, and contributors in New York, Nepal and from elsewhere work to bring Nepal and the Nepalese into the cyber-world as it happens. We operate as a primary news source that touches the lives of the Nepalese community in ways that matter most to our readers. Our mission is to provide quality news and educational resources about Nepalese culture and its people within and beyond the Nepalese-American community.